Sunday, August 05, 2012

Another Trip to the Strathroy Sewage Lagoons - American Avocet

Thanks to Blake Mann for putting me on to the American Avocet:

It was pouring rain this morning, so my plans got changed and I made a last minute decision to stop at Strathroy lagoons.
Good choice as there were lots of shorebirds including a lone American Avocet! It still had some colour and was probably a male due to curvature of the bill.
I would have stayed longer, but the pouring rain turned me away.

The lagoons are on the east side of Pike Rd. on the west edge of Strathroy.


Cheers,

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg."


and 

Hi all,

Touring around, I stopped in at Strathroy sewage lagoons this morning.  A good number of shorebirds was present, including an AMERICAN AVOCET.

It was father back on the mudflat in the north lagoon.
It was pouring rain, so I did not linger!

Directions:


The lagoons are on the east side of Pike Rd. on the west side of Strathroy. Exit hwy 402 (#65) at Victoria Rd and go south to Napperton Dr.  Turn right (west) and go a short distance to Pike Rd. (south).  After a kilometre or so there is a parking area on the left of Pike Rd.


Cheers,


Blake A. Mann

Wallaceburg, Chatham-Kent
boatmannATkentDOTnet
Blog: www.burgbirder.blogspot.com 



American Avocet at the Strathroy Sewage Lagoons

I just found this article, thanks to a link on Dave Skinner`s blog.  A great write-up on the Strathroy Lagoons and the birds that are found this time of year: http://www.lfpress.com/travel/2012/07/17/19997826.html

2 comments:

Blake A. Mann said...

Cool!
Wish it was not pouring rain when I was there. Lots to look at.

Dave said...

Such a neat bird. Glad you were able to see it. I'm going to head over there today and see what is around.