Monday, September 17, 2012

Wallaceburg Butterflies and Caterpillar - Peers Wetland

I had a hard time identifying this Peck's Skipper, because according to the field guide I use adults fly from late June to late July.  When I investigated further I found that "Polites peckius flies from late June to late July in the east and early August in the west. There is one generation per year in Canada, except for a partial second brood in southern and eastern Ontario; there are three in the southern U.S." According to Butterflies and Moths of North America there are "Two to three broods from May-October."

The caterpillar host plant  is "Rice cutgrass (Leersia oryzoides); probably bluegrass (Poa pratensis) and others." And the adults "Nectar from flowers including red clover, purple vetch, thistles, selfheal, New York ironweed, blue vervain, common milkweed, swamp milkweed, dogbane, and New Jersey tea." I found the adult photographed below nectaring on clover.

Peck's Skipper - This skipper is often seen on flowers, especially members of the pea family (e.g., vetch), as well as at damp areas on sandy roadsides and in wet meadows and the edge of marshes.


Least Skipper
Smartweed Caterpillar
Summer Azure
Summer Azure
Eastern Tailed Blue

3 comments:

Blake A. Mann said...

So, you were in my neck of the woods today!
I think it is a Peck's Skipper. Lots around right now. I saw many at Port Lambton today.
Leonard's is somewhat similar on the upperside. I don't have a lot of experience with Leonard's because I rarely see them. The underside of the wing would be more tell-tale.

Blake A. Mann said...

Cool caterpillar. Not sure I have seen one of them before.

Erin said...

Thanks Blake. Can't beat experience when it comes to identification. I spent about half an hour looking at the butterfly photo and the field guide. We'll call it Peck's for now and next time I will try to get a better look at the underwing.