Monday, April 11, 2011

Window Strike

Video of the release 

UPDATE!! Our feathered friend will be released tomorrow, April 14th at 8:00am at the office.  He has recovered well.  

I was reading my mail at the office front window at the end of the day, when I heard a loud knock on the window.  To my dismay I saw a still Hairy Woodpecker lying on some rocks by the window.  I gasped,  dropped the mail on the floor in shock and rushed towards it.

I picked the him up tentatively, holding either side of his head.  He barely moved.  Through the window a group of confused coworkers watched with concern. I rushed back inside, past onlookers and downstairs to find a box to put the bird in, trying to protect it from any added shock.  My hands were a little shaky. I then left a message at Salthaven and headed to Mount Brydges.

When I arrived, a seasoned volunteer, Deb,  greeted me with concern. We took the Hairy in to the clinic.  As I carried the box I could feel the bird stirring.  A good sign.  We opened it up and peeked in - the bird was standing!  As Deb picked him up he struggled strongly.  I was elated for a second. He seemed strong.  Until Deb showed me his one eye was badly injured.  He could not open it. 

We retrieved Brian Salt from the raptor trailer where he was busily grinding down a hawk beak and talons. He came with us to examine the woodpecker. Again the Hairy struggled fiercely.  Brian administered some medicine to alleviate the swelling and advised that if everything goes well, I may be able to bring the bird back to the office for release in three or four days.  It is a good feeling to have a trusted place to leave an injured animal to recover. Thank you  Salthaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
You are a kind and gentle soul. Another little life saved by an very caring lady. WC