Saturday, June 04, 2011

Painted turtle eggs

UPDATE: As of June 24, there is only one turtle egg left.  I am hoping for the best, but the colour has gone a bit strange. 

On June 2, after a full day of paddling/turtle surveying on the East Sydenham, on my drive home to London, I spotted a painted turtle at the side of the road (Oxford Street, just across the road from the Garden Patch).  Unfortunately, it was a female that did not survive a hit.  There was a broken egg beside the turtle's cracked carapace.  Upon further investigation, I spotted more eggs.  I was able to harvest five pink little eggs. On the advice of the Internet, I constructed a makeshift incubator with some household items.  Today, the eggs are still rosey pink and smooth, which I think indicates healthy eggs. Other than watering the eggs daily, this is mostly a waiting game now. The expected hatch date is mid-July.
Makeshift incubator: heating pad, bowl with vermiculite, and lid with holes.
Basking painted turtle on log in the East Sydenham

3 comments:

Dave said...

That is neat. I will be checking back to see how they eggs develop. Good luck.

Erin said...

Ya, I hope that they make it. It would be most exciting to be able to release some hatchlings later this year.

WC said...

Only you would spot a turtle across from the"Garden Patch" Here's hoping the sweet little pink eggs make it into our amazing world.
WC