Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rare Mussels of the Sydenham

Today I took the Freshwater Mussel ID Course in the Sydenham River.  I got to spend almost the whole day racooning for mussels.  In total we saw more than 20 of the 34 species know to exist in the river.  After seeing these mussels first-hand, I believe the Sydenham truly is the crown jewel of Ontario rivers.

Clockwise from top left: Purple Wartyback, Kidneyshell, Rayed Bean attached to a Flutedshell, Black Sandshell, Salamander Mussel and another Purple Wartyback.

Mussels have have a complex lifecycle in which some rely on specific hosts and specialized lures. 


Mussel Love


Snuffbox Captures Host
There is some speculation that the logperch's  (the glochidia host pictured below) tough skull may be a result of co-evolution with the snuffbox mussel.  Other non-host darters have softer skulls.


Wavy-rayed Lampmussel lures

This mussel is no longer found in the Sydenham.  Although, there is still a thriving population in the Thames.  One possible explanation for dissapearance from the Sydenham is that the dispesal of the species require clear water due to the vision-based lure.  I have seen many of these lures up-close since my uncle happens to back onto the Thames River mussel bed where this species flourishes.



Crayfish lure



More information:

Information on the "mussel crisis":

I enjoyed myself so much I completely forgot about the solstice until about 9pm.   I can't help thinking it's all downhill for a half year.  Spring is officially over. Jake thinks I am crazy for getting bummed out about this every year.  I agree I may spent too much time dreading winter/ wishing it away.


2 comments:

Blake A. Mann said...

I would have loved to see these. I have read about them. I have seen a few species that surface at Moore WMA.

Erin said...

It really made me appreciate the uniqueness of the Sydenham River.