Sunday, June 17, 2012

Birds and other things at Newport Forest, Wardsville

Kee and I spent a lovely (drizzly) afternoon at Newport. We agreed to suck up the poor weather and nettle stings in order to study rare plants on the property.  We were rewarded for sticking it out many times over.  We agreed in the end that the rain actually added to the trip, especially when the sun finally came out and made everything sparkle. Below are some of my photos from the day.


Sparrows of the Upper Meadow

Warning: I am no good at sparrows, only just starting to learn.  Please let me know if you think any of these IDs/guesses are off. 

Best Guess ID: From top left corner, clockwise Song, Song, Field, Song, Chipping, Song
Immature Orchard Oriole (?)


Other sights: 


Bird list from Newport
  • Indigo Bunting
  • Turkey Vulture
  • American Robin
  • Northern Cardinal
  • Brown Thrasher
  • Song Sparrow
  • Field Sparrow
  • Chipping Sparrow
  • Blue Jay
  • Eastern Pheobe
  • Catbird
  • Mallard
  • Brown-headed Cowbird
  • American Crow
  • Orchard Oriole
  • Tree Swallow
  • Northern Rough-winged Swallow
  • Northern Flicker

4 comments:

Dave said...

I love pic of the Field Sparrow. Nice catch.

Erin said...

I did too. So much I accidently used it twice. They are my favourite sparrow, but I have never seen a grasshopper...

LakeOntarian said...

The bottom left picture of your 'Immature Red-winged Blackbird" looks like an Orchard Oriole.

Erin said...

Thanks! I was stuggling, but I think you are right. I knew there was something different about it - white on the tail patches on the shoulder. This is a new bird for me..