Wednesday, February 15, 2012

3 Pileated Woodpeckers, Strathroy CA


 The conditions were great for following tracks and dinner scraps right to animal homes today.  First I saw where a squirrel had eaten some Norway Spruce seeds. It was funny to note how many animals use a large dead tree as a river crossing. It is an enticing tree that I have tentatively tiptoed across  more than once. (I guess not looking too nimble, since last time trail walkers stopped to advise against it.) Next I followed some (coon?) tracks right up to a burrow and took some pictures down inside. Not too interesting.... Then I heard some tapping.  Then more.  It started echoing all around me.  I spied a total of three Pileated Woodpeckers in the silver maple swamp.  All within 100m of each other. Below you see two in a (very blurry) photo less than 2 meters apart.




Remains of Norway Spruce cone feast
Raccoon prints

Wildlife (raccoon mostly) corridor
Inside of rodent burrow

Pileated Woodpecker, Dryocopus pileatus


In flight



Two woodpeckers less than 2 metres apart
In flight

No comments: