Monday, February 27, 2012

Hellgrammites and More Signs that Spring is Coming

I've recently been poking around logs a little, but it's still a little early to find much. On my walk at lunch today at Strathroy CA I found Hellgrammites also known as dobsonfly larvae under an old railway tie in that is being used as a pedestrian bridge.  It's hard to see the scale, so I linked to a web photo with an individual in a woman's hand. These inverts make excellent bass bait. They are also relatively pollution intolerant, so a sign of decent water quality. Not surprising as the wet area where they were found seems to be fed by groundwater (note the rust colour formed by the oxidation of iron as the the water surfaces). I will re-visit the spot someday when I plan to go fishing. Also, the skunk cabbage is coming along nicely. According to Wikipedia: "Skunk cabbage is notable for its ability to generate temperatures of up to 15-35°C above air temperature by cyanide resistant cellular respiration in order to melt its way through frozen ground, placing it among a small group of plants exhibiting thermogenesis." I noticed one to the larger skunk cabbage shoots I have been monitoring is gone. I didn't realize that wildlife ate them, but can't think of another reason it would be missing.

Hellgrammite

Hellgrammites are another insect with an incredible life-cycle.  According to Wikipedia "After a few years of living and growing underwater, the larvae crawl out onto land and pupate. They stay in their cocoons over the winter and emerge only to mate. Upon emerging, they live for only seven days."
This image from the web shows the hellgrammite head under a microscope.

Skunk Cabbage Symplocarpus foetidus

Ranunculus spp.

Strathroy Conservation - Silver Maple Swamp


No comments: