Monday, February 20, 2012

Coldstream Conservation Area

Andrew and I put on boots and played in the river all afternoon.  The sun was shining and it was glorious.  One of the coolest sights was little orb shaped ornaments of ice hanging in the water.  No good pictures, as I  broke the prettiest one off trying to get close.  Inspired by a blog about winter herping, spent time turning over rocks and logs looking for mudpuppies

Ice scupture hangs like Christmas Tree ornament
Floater (?still need to look up) shell (top) and live mussel (bottom)



. Five fishes were seen in the clear water: darter, sucker, pumpkinseed, creek chub, and a random minnow.    Also, tried looking for mussels, but only found one live mussel and a scattering floaters(?) and papershell shells. Both these mussel species are ubiquitous and generally indicate poorer water quality. There were lots a invertebrates too including odonates and mayflies (indicators of better water quality).  I thought about bringing them home for my aquarium guests (snake, fish and turtle) to snack on, but decided that they belonged under the rocks where I found them.  By 4:30 we started for home mud covered, with wet feet and cold hands.  Nonetheless, I couldn't resist taking a detour to see the Snowy Owl at Seed Rd. We were not disappointed: Andrew got a new life bird and it was the perfect primer for us watching The Big Year.

Papershell (?)


Andrew balancing on a log (above). The boots that I lent him were very waterlogged when I went to put them on a week later.

No comments: