Friday, April 20, 2012

Any sick or malformed Leopard Frogs in our area?

There is growing concern in recent years about impact of certain fungi and viruses on amphibians worldwide.  Chytrid Fungus http://www.amphibianark.org/the-crisis/chytrid-fungus/  and Ranavirus (http://savethefrogs.com/chytrid/ranavirus/index.html).  
I was recently contacted by a PhD student who is looking to study emerging ampibian infectious diseases.  She will have a few people in our area collect leopard for toenail clippings in order to attain a better understanding.  You can help by providing her with your local knowledge:
Hi all,

My name is Kirsten McMillan and I have just begun my doctoral studies with Dr. David Lesbarrères (Laurentian University, Sudbury) and Dr. Trenton Garner (Zoological Society of London, UK). My project focuses on the effect of landscape on amphibian emerging infectious diseases.

For the following four years, throughout the summer months (May-September) I will be carrying out extensive fieldwork within Ontario. I will be focusing on the Northern Leopard Frog (Lithobates (Rana) pipiens) and two of its pathogens: the Chytrid Fungus and Ranavirus. In order to get an idea of the prevalence of both diseases, I need to test at least 30 individuals within a population, and look at 130 separate populations. Consequently, in order to complete my work efficiently and comprehensively (within the time frame), I am appealing for information regarding:

1. The presence and abundance of Northern Leopard frogs within Ontario:
Are there populations in your area? If so, where (GPS, river name etc.)? Could you estimate the population size (less than OR more than 30 individuals)?

2. The presence of either pathogen:
Have you witnessed any dead, dying or malformed frogs (of any species) within or near to Northern Leopard frog populations?

3. The beginning of the Northern Leopard frog breeding season:
At what time of the year do they appear and remain within your area? 

This year, I will be carrying out my fieldwork between late May and early September. If you could provide me with any information, it would be greatly appreciated. My work aims to enhance plans to decrease amphibian population decline while reducing the potential costs of disease management. Any help you can provide will inform the development of disease control strategies and the future management of epidemics.

Thank you for your time.


Kirsten McMillan

PhD candidate
Genetics and Ecology of Amphibians Research Group (GEARG)
Laurentian University
Department of Biology, S625
Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury
Ontario
P3E2C6

1 comment:

Dennise said...

What does it look like?


River Cruises perth