Sunday, April 01, 2012

Clark Wright CA - Tree buds, violets, and mosquito larva

I went back to Clark Wright to check in on the frogs.  They have all stopped calling.  I looked for egg masses in the vernal breeding area (which was mostly dry).  I found some American Toad eggs around the edges of the pond, but no signs of eggs on the grass where the majority of wood frog and peeper breeding took place.  Instead a dried up stickleback and millions of mosquito larva were all the remained in the laast remaining puddles of the vernal wetland.

American Toad eggs

mosquito larva

stickleback in dried up amphibian breeding area

parched breeding pools
 With nothing too interesting going on with regard to amphibians, I moved on to investigating how thing are progressing in the plant world.....
spicebush

violet

violet

elm seeds
Lots of bird activity, but still getting use to the zoom on my camera.  Finding it very hard to find the bird on the display screen.


4 comments:

Blake A. Mann said...

I'd like to get up to Strathroy one of these days. The only time I've been to Clark Wright was many years ago to pick up an ATV to bring back to McKeough!

hobgoblin said...

I was working all weekend. So couldn't get out. But I'm off next weekend, so will be out checking some countryside places out. Clark Wright and maybe Longwoods and a few other places I know.

hobgoblin said...

Sorry, Erin. Hobgoblin is me, Dave Skinner

Erin said...

I think we should try to team up on the weekend. I am getting a little packed up with family and Land Trust stuff, but maybe I can find a way squeeze in a country drive.