Saturday, April 14, 2012

A little bit of everything....

Clark Wright had a different assortment of sights than usual. First I flushed a wild turkey at the edge of the field - where I was looking for an American Woodcook or Brown Thrasher. Every time I go looking for one bird, another jumps out at me. I wasn't more than three feet away when it started to take off. That got my heart racing.

Moving on a groundhog gave me the stare down at the sand mounds around the pond again on the agricultural field. I think to myself, wouldn't a badger love to live here?


In the area of the pine trees there wasn't much bird activity, likely because it was windy and cool. So I took some time to look at the spring flowers that will soon be gone again. 


Trout lily, Erythronium americanum
Spring Beauty, Claytonia virginica
Red Trillium, Trillium erectum
Red Trillium, Trillium erectum (white form)?? Tentative ID
Red Trillium, Trillium erectum (white form)??
There was lot of activity at the pond...



Eastern Towhee, Pipilo erythrophthalmus
As I left Clark Wright I was happy to hear frogs and toad calling again.  Singing in anticipation of rain?  The Woodcock also peented periodically as I was leaving to the parking lot.


I spent the day at Eberhardt forest, near Seabringville, ON pulling garlic mustard.  I was close enough to the ground to enjoy newly sprouting Jack-in the-Pulpit and other spring sights....



2 comments:

WC said...

You certainly have been experiencing the best of Spring. Wish I was there. Are the trillium's really all gone?
WC

Erin said...

Some trilliums still haven't bloomed, but you better get out there soon. Warblers aren't expected for about another two weeks.